This is where we left off in step #1

It’s worth noting that I haven’t fitted any of the fuselage windows that should have been fitted prior to the two halve being glued together, I’ll tackle the windows once the build and painting are complete.

The wing interior and main gear wells were primed in black then the wing interiors were given a coat of AK cockpit interior and an interior wash.

Black detailing applied to the main well.

Gear Well frames assembled.

Prior to gluing the wings in place each wing was dry fitted to ensure fit and it was found that the area around the wheel wells was too tight and needed some sanding to ensure an accurate fit.

Upper wing surfaces were positioned and clamped into place prior to applying the glue – Tamiya Extra Thin – allowing capillary action to spread the glue.

The lower wing surfaces were then clamped into position and glued.

The fit between the wing root and the fuselage is exceptional although the leading edges needed a small amount of filling.

The tail-plane assembly was straightforward

as was fitting to the fuselage

Thats the ‘big’ part of the build done the next part will be the engine nacelles.

 

After┬áreceived the Airfix Bomber re-supply Set I ‘lost my hobby mojo’ somewhat in the belief that I wouldn’t get a chance to build it and the Lancaster which I bought it to serve support for until October time! But in a renewed push to complete ongoing projects I finished painting a pile of 6mm figures for a wargame and completed the base/stand for the Martin B-57B.

So with renewed determination I set about the Lancaster project. A gift from Rob the Airfix Avro Lancaster B1(F.E.)/BIII in 1/72 gives the option of building one of two versions, I chose the B1 from No. 35 squadron the ‘Tiger Force’ option.

First job was to convert the Humbrol colour call-out to the Vallejo paints that I use, I’m not strict when it come to colours, I believe if it looks right it is right. Next I marked up the instructions highlighting any holes or cuts that need to be made and crossing through the instructions for the variant that I’m NOT doing.

On to the actual build! I decided that Step #1 would be the interior and joining the two fuselage halves together.

Assembly was straightforward and the inside of two fuselage halves and the cockpit were given a black priming coat.

The areas of the fuselage that were to remain black were masked off and a coat of AK’s interior green was applied this was also hand painted to the appropriate parts of the cockpit. The interior green was then given a wash with AK’s interior wash. The remaining black areas were given a light dry-brush with neutral gray and some edges given a very light dry-brushing with gun-metal.

The pilot figure was given a basic paint job and decals were applied.

I had dry-fitted the two fuselage halves and smoothed out any major problems and decided that the best fit would be achieved by gluing in sections, this took about 5 hours in all.

Once the glue was dry I gave the joins a light sanding.

Followed by a light dusting with primer along the joins to check for gaps which I filled and re-sanded.

I’ll finish the fuselage by polishing. In the background ‘Step #2 – the wings’

 

 

I bought this kit along with 3 other kits and it cost just less than 6 quid delivered – its not the greatest kit in the world and as the tooling seems to date from 1957! I suspect not the most accurate but builds into a nice representation of an aircraft that is hard to find in kit form.

The finish is not quite right but AK interactive have a new product out that I may try later in the year.

As the landing gear was a bit naff I decided to have the kit in ‘flight mode’, the base was made from a piece of olive tree branch from last year’s trimmings together with a piece of acrylic rod from ebay @ about 8 quid, I still have 2/3 of it left.